Tuesday 2 December 2014

I'll Remember (Madonna)

I've been dying to do a Madonna Song for ages, but simply didn't dare. Her songs deserve better than me doing cheap interpretations in front of an iPad. Then it occurred to me that I'll Remember would work as a monologue to a deceased loved one, so here's my attempt.

The song itself is a lovely ballad that reached number 2 in the US. This was at the time of "Letterman-gate", but somehow the backlash it didn't hurt the single's performance. In the UK the single stalled at number 7, which was a low for a Madonna single not previously available on an album. The song was largely ignored in the rest of Europe. Some expected the song (which featured in the Maverick-funded film "With Honors") to be nominated for an Oscar. Although Madonna had performed Sooner or Later, the winning song at the 1991 Oscar ceremony, she was not the writer of that song and I don't think the Oscar-voting members of the Academy were ready to nominate her. The Foreign Associate Press did, however, and she was nominated for a Golden Globe and a Grammy Award for it (neither of which she won). Sadly, she's never performed the song live. Maybe there's hope for her new tour?


No comments:

Post a Comment